Friday, September 12, 2014

Welcome to Thought and Writing!


Welcome to English 1050!
I am Micealaya (Mickey) Moses, your instructor.  Please take time to save this blog into your favorites/bookmarks folder as I will provide weekly updates, course recaps, and all course documents through this site. I am excited to work with all of you this semester! Please don't hesitate to contact me with any questions.  My e-mail is m5moses@wmich.edu.  I am also available to meet with you every Monday between 2 and 4 and by appointment.  In this class you will learn how to think like a writer, a skill you already possess in some capacity.  We will read and  discuss various texts and you will hopefully leave this class with the ability to write in both academic and "real world" settings.

Course Syllabus and Course Expectations
We read through the syllabus in class and talked about the things you would have to do to succeed in this course. Please be sure to review the entire syllabus (posted on the right side of the blog) on your own, but here a few of the finer points, the things that are essential to your success in this class:

  • Attendance and participation are extremely important. You are expected to be in class on-time on a regular basis and to participate in all class activities and discussions.
  • Late work is highly discouraged.  Please get in the habit now of turning things in when they are due.
  • I am here to help you but I can't do anything for you if I don't know something is wrong. Please do not hesitate to ask questions if you are confused.  Again I can meet with you during office hours or by appointment to discuss things you may be struggling with.  Also please inform me in a timely matter if you're going to miss class.
  • Please be courteous.  Disruptive behavior is distracting and counterproductive to our class.
    Homework (Due Friday 9/12)
    • Read "Me Talk Pretty One Day" by David Sedaris, page 16 in Readings for Writers
    • Write a paragraph describing your favorite dish.  Your goal is to convince your reader that they want to eat the dish you are describing.  

    No comments:

    Post a Comment